Friday, July 27, 2007

Day 37

(Apologies: I realize that today is not July 28th. I do not have a computer at my house, so I am posting this ahead of time...so that we can all pray together tomorrow.)

The summer after my freshman year in college, I went on a very short mission trip to Honduras to work with WGO, an organization that I had not ever heard of before. We spent the week painting concrete walls that would later turn into houses...we handed out food to children in downtown Tegucigalpa...we spent quite a few hours romping in the mountain river...and I had no idea what God had in store for that place.

Today, World Gospel Outreach is doing incredible things to reach the people in Honduras. The place I visited 7 years ago, Rancho Ebenezer, hardly looks like what I remember! They have multiple homes for children to come and live in a family environment. They have a school building. They grow coffee beans and blackberries. And that is just the ranch! WGO works with people in Tegucigalpa, as well as up on the mountain...bringing them food, medicine, and the Word that can change their lives!

I have just recently learned that the church I now work for is very involved with WGO, sending teams each year to serve there. A good friend here is preparing to go work in Honduras long-term, helping with the children, college students, and the media department. Please join me in praying today for Brett as he prepares to leave, and for the continuing work of WGO. They have had a rough journey at times, but they have been faithful and God is blessing their work.

I have not thought about this place in years...I ashamed to admit that it was so easy to forget the children I saw there...the huge pile of mud where thousands of people were burried by the El Nino hurricane...the little pots of glue that tiny children sniff to fight off the cold and the hunger. But Praise God that His servants have continued to struggle. Praise God that the people there are being shown love and grace. And let us all pray together for the people who are still huddled in the dark. Please pray that God will strengthen his workers in Honduras. Pray that the people there will be open to the Word...that their burdens may be lifted, just slightly lessened, by the joy and the peace that Christ offers. Pray that the food and the medicine will not be the end, but will be the opening of doors. Pray that we all will not forget this journey we have been on...all of these organizations who fight each day for others.

There is evil and darkness everywhere, this is true. There is need...there is hunger...there is pain that we cannot imagine, that we may never experience.
But there is also hope. There is love. Pray that we will not forget those things.

If you'd like to take a closer look at World Gospel Outreach, go here.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your post - I'm praying for you today Charla and praying that God will strengthen His workers in Honduras!

9:02 AM  
Blogger euphrony said...

I'll be praying for you today. I've never heard of WGO . . . have to sheck them out some more.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Susanne said...

Praying for these people today!

1:30 PM  
Blogger erin said...

I've been to Honduras as well, and I can't believe it's been 8 years since my trip there. WGO sounds like a great organization, and I'm glad to know more about them.

"But there is also hope. There is love. Pray that we will not forget those things."

Let us not forget.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Chaotic Hammer said...

Thanks for this, Charla! I had not heard of WGO, but each time I hear one more story of people faithfully serving the Lord like this, I am encouraged.

Praying with you today.

6:24 PM  
Blogger The Secret Life of Kat said...

Charla,
I've prayed for you today, for your friend Brett and for the people bringing hope to Honduras. Thanks so much for sharing.

9:06 PM  
Blogger steven.russell said...

this isn't this related...but i am asking all the people associated with the 40 day fast to post shaun's blog today in trying to help his friend.

thanks.

http://www.shaungroves.com/shlog/comments/i_need_a_guy/

11:15 AM  
Blogger rebstar said...

oh charley, i'm just now reading this (8/9), and my heart is full.

you know of my love for honduras and her people--AND for wgo!! and it was with your church that i went with wgo--almost seven years ago now!!

i love you and thank you for this.

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home